This is the dress I sewed for my daughter for Christmas. The fabric is from two old dresses, but It ended up being more work than I expected, possibly because of the 'drapiness' of the fabric.
I had Pinned this dress pattern because I loved the style, so when I saw it on eBay, I (obviously) couldn't resist! I sewed the bodice exactly as in the pattern, and avoided facings by adding a lining of cotton voile instead.
The dress fabric is a silk velvet and was worn as bridesmaids dresses for my wedding .... a while ago! I used one dress and just about had enough for the remake, except the sleeves needed to be cut in two pieces to fit the fabric available.When originally worn, the fabric was quite dark (winter wedding) so I changed the direction of the nap, basically turned the dress upside down, and now the colours are much stronger.
The collar and cuff fabric is from an old maternity dress of mine.
Though the dress looks ok, the fabric would have been more suited to a less detailed pattern. There is also lining and tulle added to the skirt to give it some badly needed 'poofiness' and it needed to be worn with a separate petticoat to give it some extra lift. It was almost a zero cost dress, as I didn't have to specifically buy anything for it.
It was given the thumbs-up by my daughter which, as always, is what matters most!
Pin It Now!